Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Give Them REAL Heroes....

Romans 12:1-2 says: Therefore do not be conformed any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your MIND. Then you will be able to test and approve what the will of God is; His good, pleasing, and perfect will.

Matthew 22:37-38a says: You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your MIND. This is the great and first commandment.

I imagine that you will see me speak a lot on this blog about the importance of renewing and protecting our minds as well as our kids' minds. That is a major key in being on fire for Christ or being stagnant. I will make no apologies on that one, if you do not control what is going into your mind, you WILL be conforming to the patterns of this world. Falling in love with Jesus and making Him Lord of your life requires INTENTIONAL obedience to His commands and a radical lifestyle of inputting things into your mind which bring Him glory.  How you think dictates what you believe. And what you consistently feed your mind dictates how you think. We must be feeding daily on the Word of God and meditating on it, applying it to our lives and obeying it.

I could continue, but that is a whole post topic in itself.... So, on to the point I want to share tonight.... I'm sure that the average person knows that the Olympics are taking place. Let me say that our family RARELY watches TV. If the kids watch, it is in the form of a pre-approved movie or documentary such as WWII and the Providence of God or A Night to Remember (both available through Vision Forum). Movie night at our house is "supposed" to be on Friday nights. However, maybe only once/month does that happen (especially during the summer months). That being said, we have enjoyed watching some limited gymnastics and swimming this past week. But the reason I am posting about this is because of my kids' conversations during the opening ceremony.  As the various countries were entering, here is what my kids were saying: Ecuador - That's where Nate Saint went! China - That's where Hudson Taylor and Gladys Aylward went! Great Brittan - That is England and that is where George Mueller was! Japan - That is where Jacob Deshazer was a missionary!....

I could continue, but you get the point. Yesterday, my 10 year old was quizzing the others by naming a country and asking which missionaries had gone there. It really warmed my heart listening to them! As the Olympics seem to always have a few "heroes" that spring up each time, I would encourage you to teach your kids about heroes of the faith. There are so many resources out there and my family has loved reading about, watching, doing skits, and listening to real stories of people just like them who were sold out for Christ. It inspires them and gives such deeper meaning to what Lordship means.

Obviously, one way that we renew our and our kids' minds is by reading lots of missionary biographies rather than other fiction. (I'm not saying that all fiction is bad or that we never read it... but the preference of my kids is a real life missionary story!) I love YWAM publishing, Vision Forum, BJU Press, and some of Sonlight's reading lists. This is where I primarily turn to to find wholesome reading materials. We also enjoy "Hero Tales" (there are 4 volumes in the series). I realize that purchasing books and videos does cost money. However, I feel that it is a worthwhile investment in my children and their education. Building up our personal library has been very fun and the kids enjoy reading and re-reading the books (as well as sharing them with their younger siblings).

Who are your heroes????? Who are your kids looking up to????

No comments:

Post a Comment